The Global Compact Initiative
The United Nations Global Compact Initiative is sponsored by both the United Nations as well as representatives of the international business community. In concrete terms, its purpose is to institute and advance on a global scale nine principles from the areas of human rights, labor standards and environmental protection. Bayer was a founding member of the Global Compact. In addition, Bayer HealthCare is also supporting numerous projects with similar objectives.
- Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights and
- make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labor;
- the effective abolition of child labor; and
- eliminate discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.